Friday, January 17, 2014

No New Year's Resolutions For Me; I'm Perfect!!!


We are far enough into the New Year now where most resolutions drop off into a black hole somewhere, never to be remembered.  Yet, any regular gym-goer knows that their weights won’t get re-racked and bench wiped down the correct way again until at least March. (Those are the particularly strong willed resolutioners!)  Why are we so complacent with failure?  We eat our weight in holiday cookies because we convince ourselves that New Year’s is only a week away and we’ll start our diets, er,…I mean resolutions then.

I really hate New Year’s Eve.  Not that I’m a partier normally, but it really is an Amateur’s Night.  There is so much stock into throwing a good party, or going to the best bar, but I am always let down.  No amount of shots decorated with glitter salt, party hats, and googly 2014 glasses can change the fact that you spent $20 to get your foot in the door, your date will be too drunk to do you later, and you have to start your stupid diet tomorrow.

I resolved a long time ago to STOP the madness and stop putting that much pressure on myself.  No more resolutions.  Instead, I like to look back on the year I’ve had: professionally, emotionally, physically did I learn or grow?  I won’t beat myself up if I didn’t, but it is pretty difficult to let a year go by without learning something about yourself.  Then, it’s time to set some goals: “I will run at least 3 races this year” or “I will do at least one volunteer related activity per month” or “I will love more by hugging more.”  The trick is setting tangible goals.  All of these, no matter how easy or ridiculous they seem are important tangible goals that will improve my life somehow professionally, emotionally or physically.  BONUS: they should all create some great memories to look back on next year and help me not worry so much about the cookies that appear in my oven but once a year.








Stop beating yourself up because you didn’t “get healthier” like you resolved to, just change the goal so you can touch it or really feel it.  You know, like sign up for that bicycling tour in New England you’ve always dreamed about doing, except actually do it

It won't be easy, but nothing worth having in life comes without its own set of challenges...but hopefully Mr. Gaye and Ms. Ross can help inspire you :)  Rock on and have a killer 2014!


No comments: